40 years ago

A special three-coach diesel train from Glasgow (run by the Stephenson Locomotive Society and the Strathspey Railway Society) to tour North-east branch lines which now have no regular passenger service, included the Montrose - Brechin line (closed 1952). It was the first passenger train to come into the Brechin station since the days when the pensioners went on their annual outings by rail.

About 350 people on Saturday visited ‘the oldest house in Angus’, Farnell Castle (Commander and Mrs D. H. Merrin), which was open in aid of the Police Dependants’ Trust (Scottish Appeal). The Earl of Southesk, who had the interior of the Castle modernised a few years ago, declared it open and visitors were most interested in its history.