The Guildry of Brechin hosted the Autumn meeting of the Court of Deans Guild of Scotland on Friday, October 11, for the second time in its history.
The Court is made up of the Deans of 11 of the surviving Scottish Guildries and it meets every year in May for its annual general meeting and also in October for an autumn meeting.
The Dean of Guild, Angus Provost Helen Oswald, and a number of recent Ex-Deans of the Guildry of Brechin, together with their wives, welcomed more than 40 representatives and guests from the Guildries of Aberdeen, Arbroath, Ayr, Berwick, Dundee, Glasgow, Lanark, Perth and Stirling.
The delegates and guests were given a short bus tour of Brechin prior to lunch.
After lunch the delegates attended the autumn meeting of the Court of Deans in the Guild Hall, while their guests were taken by bus to visit the House of Dun.
Later in the afternoon, delegates and guests met up at Brechin Castle for a brief tour of the castle, followed by tea and coffee before departure.
The Guildry Incorporation of Brechin was formed in 1629 by “a number of merchants and maltmen”, traders within the Burgh, and in 1666 the Incorporation obtained official recognition of its rights under Decree of the Convention of Burghs.
Guilds flourished for a couple of centuries but have now ceased to exist. The Guildry Incorporation of Brechin is, however, still very much alive. Although its ancient functions have lapsed, it has taken an active part in the civic and social life of the community for more than three centuries and it continues to do so.
In 1990 the Guildry of Brechin was invited to join the newly founded Court of Deans of Guild of Scotland.