Delving back in time

January 12, 1960: Plans for the re-organisation of Stracathro Hospital were put before the monthly meeting of the Board of Management for Stracathro and Brechin Hospitals.

Wards in the east wing were to be replaced by wards in the west wing which was of more permanent construction.

The board approved the first steps, the transfer of the geriatric wards to wards 408 in the west wing. The wards, were to be partitioned off.

The aerodrome at Edzell which was vacated by the Royal Airforce in January, 1958 was to be taken over by the United States Navy as a radio communications base.

The first US Navy personnel which were an advance party of ten men, were due to move into Edzell in the first week of February and, according to the US Navy Headquarters in London, it was expected that numbers at the station could later increase to “a few hundred”.

Just one flash of exceptionally quick thinking by Jacky Thoms was enough to let Brechin City win one-nil over Falkirk who had everything but a sharp-shooter.

The Bairns pegged City into their penalty area for long periods - the last ten minutes being especially hectic - but their dour, solid defence held firm and took all that Falkirk could throw at them.

City had picked up 17 points in their last ten games.

Januray 11, 1973: One of the most popular cricket personalities in north-east Scotland over many years, and a former Brechin pro, Mr Eric Tyson died at Monifieth aged 80. He had been ill for some time.

Mr Tyson, who belonged to Yorkshire, was one of Scotland’s best known pros in the 30s.

A left arm spin bowler, who was an expert with the googly, made his mark with Poloc in the Western Union.

He then came to Brechin where he was one of the most popular and successful pros the club had ever had.

He then went to Monifieth before becoming a cricket coach and groundsman at Aberdeen Grammer.

When he retired he and Mrs Tyson moved to Brechin where they had made many friends.

Brechin firemen had two calls on one Wednesday night. The first was to a wooden lock-up garage at Glebe Park belonging to Mr Sidney Campbell, a retired civil servant.

Mr Campbell had just put the car - a new Vauxhall Viva - into the garage and gone home when he was told that there was smoke coming through the garage door.

He managed to get the car out before it burst into flames. All that was left were three good tyres.

The second call was to a derelict property at the Cattle Raik at Trinity where it is believed children had set fire to a quantity of straw. There was no damage.

January 14, 1988: The Kings Entertainment Group, who owned the award-winning Flicks in Brechin, lodged plans with Perth and Kinrosss District Council for a nightclub in the former Middle Church, Perth.

Stuart Aitken of the Flicks management team said it had been the company’s desire to expand into Perth for two years and Tay Street was just one of several locations they had looked at.

Meanwhile Kings Entertainment Limited quashed rumours that the Brechin club was to be sold.

Stuart Aitken, who along with Mike Swilinkski, said: “We have been asked many times recently if it is true that Flicks is being sold.

“At first we laughed these comments off, but the rumours are persisting and we feel we ought to let the public know we have no intention of selling the club. In fact we are aiming to make it even more spectacular.”

An 80th minute goal allowed Brechin City a win over rivals Berwick Rangers, seeing them through to the third round of the Scottish Cup.

Berwick were caught in City’s offside trap three times in the opening minutes on a rain-swept pitch.

In Brechin’s first serious raid on the home goal, Scott blasted well wide.

City had a lucky escape when Sokoluk broke through, only to see his fine effort hit the underside of the bar.

Then keeper Lawrie pulled off a fine double save from Leitch.

Rangers hit the woodwork for the third time with Marshall sending a header against the post.

Taylor of Brechin scored in the 80th minute.