Sporting yesteryear

40 years ago

Stirling Albion, 6; Brechin City, 1

Eighteen-year-old Jeff Coutts, who had been signed by Brechin City during the week, turned out at inside right against the strong-going Stirling Albion at Annfield on Saturday.

The youngster showed his mettle when he scored the first goal of the game (and City’s only counter) after 20 minutes. But promotion-chasing Albion were not perturbed and, despite another great performance by Les Cameron, settled down to pile on the goals.

City, though unable to retaliate, still continued to play attractive football which was afterwards praised by Albion manager, Bob Shankly.

One of the goals against them came from a dispute penalty.

30 years ago

Brechin City, 1; Berwick Rangers, 0

Saturday’s second division results made it evident that the league runners-up to Clyde will not be dcided until the last game of the season.

Alloa could only draw with bottom of the leaguers, Stranraer, Arbroath tied with East Fife and Forfar with Montrose; while Brechin, who have lost vital points recently, beat Berwick Rangers who have also been promotion contenders.

Brechin’s tie v Arbroath on Saturday will be a real needle game.

Aberdeen Grammar School F.P’s v Brechin

Brechin got a chilly reception at Rubislaw on Saturday against Grammar F.P’s.

The snow and hail were bad enough but Brechin after losing the toss were bundled out for 84 in 29.2 overs.

Grammar F.P’s ran up 88 for two wickets.

20 years ago

On Wednesday night at Coupar Angus Brechin City Boys Club under 9s shared 10 goals in a very exciting game.

B McCombie, M Anderson, B Livie, D Fraser, S Cairney were the scorers, the winning goal was chalked off when left back I Spence, eager to get in the score sheet, was off-side.

The pluses just shaded the minuses.

Brechin City, 0; Stenhousemuir, 0.

A John Gibson free-kick in nine minutes gave Bobby Brown a sight of goal inside the box,, but his diving header went just wide.

Brechin had the ball in the net after 34 minutes, Brown crossed from the left and McLaren headed past Kelly, but McLaren was adjudged to have been offside.

Paul McLaren gave the home fans a moment of hope in the dying seconds as he tried a long range shot from 30 yards which had Kelly beaten but just glanced off the crossbar.