Sporting yesteryear

40 years ago

Despite a promising start and plenty of chances Brechin City had to concede victory to Alloa in the last game in this year’s League Cup series. They were worth at least one point. Brechin were first to score through Gillespie, but Earle equalised for the visitors thirty seconds later and Campbell scored the winning goal a few minutes from the final whistle. City seemed unable to break the strong Alloa defence. Injuries forced the home side to make several changes and also because it was hoped to field a more successful team than fell at Coatbridge on Saturday.

30 years ago

After their nil-nil draw against Fife on the previous Saturday, Brechin City certainly had the scoring touch in their midweek home tie versus the strong-running East Stirling. Both manager and fans were delighted at the fine team display Brechin put up, with special commendation for John Hay, who shone in the back four, and Keith Millican who got a well-deserved counter.

The early part of the game went quietly and it was 20 minutes before City got ahead. Ian Stewart was brought down in the box. Ian Campbell had to take the penalty kick twice as keeper Gordon Marshall moved the first time. The second, however, gave City their first goal- just what was needed to put them on the road to victory.

East Stirling opened strongly in the second half but it was Hamish Mackay who in 55 minutes, after a fine solo run, grabbed City’s second goal.

At this point Doug Houston felt justified in taking off the two scorers and bringing on Paterson and Cormack. Indeed Paterson was on hand to tap the ball home after a Millican shot was weakly parried by Marshall. And Keith Millican was himself to get on the scoring list for the first time in the closing seconds of the game.

20 years ago

Golf Finals Day at Edzell on Saturday proved to be both exciting and disappointing, at least as far as the Men’s Final of the Club Championship was concerned. Willie Taylor, holder of the Championship, was opposed by Jim Watt who was five down at the end of the first round. Willie being round in two under par and without playing another hole in the second round retained the title and the Dalhousie Medal as Jim complained of feeling ill was unable.

In the final of the Coronation Rosebowl (handicap) over 36 holes it was a runaway victory for Ian Jardine, in receipt of one stroke, when he defeat David S. Beattie nine and seven. In the final of the Duncraig Cup Sheena Hay defeated Jane Baird two and one. The Bronze division final was even closer when the match went to the last green with Rosemary Henderson defeating Trudy Scott by one hole.