Sporting yesteryear

40 years ago

Cross-country: At the National ATC Cross-Country finals, held outside London, the Scottish team took first place.

Corporal Nigel Robertson from No. 2365 (Brechin) Squadron was one of the six Scottish Cadets who made up the team.

Apart from winning gold for this, Cpl. Robertson qualifies for a Scottish Blue. There are awarded to Cadets who are chosen to represent Scotland in one of the many sports that the ATC participate in.

SQUASH: In a match played at Kintrockat on February 4, a team from the Brechin area beat Aberdeen Squash Rackets Club by four matches to two.

30 years ago

Basketball: Brechin B, 61; Stobswell Trotters, 54.

In the opening moments of the Tayside League match Brechin B struggled to find any co-ordination in their attacking moves and were 12-6 behind after only six minutes play.

By mid-way through the first half, however, the home team had managed to draw level.

When the whistle founded for the break Stobswell were narrowly ahead by 25-23.

A more determined Brechin side displayed something like their true form in the early stages of the second half and overtook Stobswell to lead comfortable by 45-33 with only nine minutes left.

Several of the young Brechin substitutes came on to play but the more experienced Stobswell players made use of this opportunity to get into the game and the Brechin lead was reduced to 53-50 with only a couple of minutes left on the clock.

Only some accurate long shooting from Rawlinson, who scored 10 points in the last three minutes, made certain of a Brechin victory.

19 years ago

Football: Downfield, 1; Brechin City Boys under-11s, 4.

Brechin started playing against a very strong wind in their match with Downfield in Dundee last Sunday,

Despite the fact the elements were playing a major part in the game, Brechin managed to play some nice football at the back.

David Fraser found himself twice clean through on goal and decided to shoot on both occasions when he might have been better to cut the ball back.

Brechin went one nil down just before half-time, conceding a silly goal after a Brechin player was caught out in possession.

Brechin started the second half, scoring a goal almost from kick-off. Fraser again found himself free on the right and made no mistake from 12 yards.

Brechin took the lead five minutes later through Craig Tait.

Their third goal came soon after, with Brian Livie travelling the length of the field to finish. Tait complete the scoring seven minutes from time with a crashing shot from 15 yards.