Sporting yesteryear

50 years ago

FOOTBALL: A Miracle would have to happen before any football could be played in Brechin this Saturday.

Glebe Park, where Stirling Albion were to have been the visitors, is covered with large patches of ice.

Matrix Park isn’t much better and Nursery Park is like an ice rink.

One of the Vics’ committee said the ground would take weeks to thaw out.

CURLING: Owning to very bad road the company at the annual dinner-dance of Edzell Curling Club numbered only 55.

Mr W. K. Moir, president, welcomed members from various neighbouring clubs. The club cup was presented to the winning rink which was skipped by Mr David Hood.

At Perth Ice Rink Edzell curlers met Catterthun curlers, four rinks a side, in the annual match for W. Crichton Cup when Edzell win by three shots and became holders of the cup for the first time.

40 years ago

HOCKEY: Brechin, 6; Dundee Wanderers 3rd XI, 3.

Brechin thoroughly deserved their win but the score could easily have been doubled but for shock finishing in the forward line.

Scorers were: L. Milne (2), A. Wellburn (2), J. Watt, D. Campbell.

30 years ago

Rally: The first round of this year’s Esso Scottish Rally championship really lived up to its title - the Ladbroke Snowman Rally.

The new Challengers’ category, that is, those with less than two years’ experience of motor rallying at the national level, provided keen competition.

The second top Challenger was Alistair Inglis (Edzell), who won the T. M. Photosport award last year for being the “Hardest Trier”

BASKETBALL: With Brechin ‘A’ having Finlayson, one of their leading scorers out through injury, the Brechin ‘B’ squad had hopes of “putting one over” their clubmates and League leaders in their first local derby of the season.

For a large part of the first half the optimism of the ‘B’ players seemed well founded.

Some composed and imaginative play allied to good shooting and saw the ‘B’ players edge ahead to a seven point lead with five minutes of the first half remaining.

The ‘A’ team, however, hit form during the closing minutes of the half and meant the interval was reached with the ‘A’ side narrowly ahead by 36-32.

The final result of the game was decided in the first minutes of the second half.

The ‘B’ team, over anxious to regain the lead, went through a spell of untify play. The ‘A’ team took full advantage and quickly increased the lead.

Full time: Brechin ‘A’, 78; Brechin ‘B’, 65.