Sporting Yesteryear

50 years ago

Angling: The first step towards forming a North Angus Angling League has been taken by Brechin Angling Club, who are trying to arrange an inter-club fly competition on their waters at Loch Saugh in May.

Seven clubs have been invited to take part - Arbroath, Inverbervie, Laurencekirk, Kirriemuir, Matrix Montrose and Valleyfield, each being asked to supply four rods for the proposed competition.

Meanwhile, the Brechin club officials have drawn up a list of about 60 members who wish to fish on the Dun waters which they have leased from March 4 to 9.

40 years ago

DARTS: Four darts boards were in use for four hours in the Temperance Hall, when Brechin and District Darts League teams played off for the Hay Cup (donated by the Aberdeen aerated water manufacturers) in one evening.

It is the first time the league has promoted the competition in this way, but it proved so successful that it is likely to be the pattern for the future.

There was an entry of 74 pairs and the winners were two members of the Noranside Club, N. McLeod and M. Barrie, who defeated G. Robertson and A. Watt (West End) 2-0 in the final.

The trophy was presented by Mr L. Beattie of the East End Bar, who is league president, and Mrs J. Mitchell of the Dalhousie Hotel.

30 years ago

Football: Brechin City, 3; Albion Rovers, 0.

After their spell of enforced inactivity Brechin returned to the fray last Wednesday with great zest and despite a bone-hard pitch at Glebe Park found no difficulty in beating the Coatbridge team by three clear goals and maintain their promotion challenge at the same time.

With only four minutes gone Ian Campbell picked up a loose ball 30 yards out and hammered it home past Balavage. For the rest of the half the homesters kept up the pressure without finding the net.

Just a minute after the resumption City got their number two Paterson, all through a thorn in the flesh of the visitors’ defence, challenged for a long ball and the ball finally broke back for Scott Simpson to fire it home from 15 yards.

Minutes later Paterson topped the bar with the ball which he took from a Simpson cross.

In 73 minutes Brechin had clinched the issue with their third goal. Watt timed his run beautifully on to an Elvin cross to beat the offside trap. Running in on the goal he squared for Mackie to shoot into the empty net.