Sporting yesteryear

50 years ago

Hockey: Ruthrieston, 8; Brechin, 1.

Ten weeks without a game was the main cause of Brechin’s defeat, the home team being that little bit faster and more skilful.

Another point that should be mentioned is Brechin could only get ten players to travel to Aberdeen which reflects badly on some members. Otherwise it was an excellent game, played in ideal conditions.

With Wards Park and Forthill still icebound this Saturday’s game may be played on a neutral ground.

40 years ago

Football: Brechin City, 0; Dunfermilne, 5.

City, who had already been beaten 8-2 in the away League match, took another hammering at Glebe Park on Saturday. The Fifers were a well-drilled, professional team, whose defence was not prepared to let anything part it, but until half-time the homesters were able to hold them to a one-goal lead.

After the interval, however, Milne, who had been playing an invaluable game at centre-half began to flag (he had been on a course of antibiotics) and was replaced by Kidd. After that the Fife forwards had a field day

It was ironic that it was McLardy (formerly of Brechin) who kept up the passes which gave the Fifers a runaway victory.

Dave Nicoll, on trial in goal from Dundee Osborne, is not to be blamed for the succession of goals against him. He had a great fame and brought off some dazzling saves. City’s midfield trialist was Peter Sievwright of Luncarty.

30 years ago

Football: Brechin City, 3; Montrose, 1.

Brechin City’s 3-1 win over Montrose at Glebe Park on Saturday put them on the top rung of the League ladder in place of Meadowbank who have sat there, with no other club apparently able to dislodge them, since the beginning of the season.

Brechin had achieved the same league pointage as the Edinburgh lads but their goal average was much better.

Both Forfar and Arbroath scoring wins, they fell into the third and fourth places to make the promotion race more open than ever, though both are five points behind the leaders and Arbroath have played two extra games.

Though that defeat on Saturday put Montrose to the bottom of the table, the visitors, who were led by their layer-manager, Dennis D’Arcy, gave City anxious moments in the first half, when they themselves lost too many chances for safety. However, Scott Simpson who went on for Ian Stewart after the interval scored with his first shot and paved the way for his team’s final victory.