Sporting Yesteryear

50 years ago

Football: East Stirling, 2; Brechin City, 1.

The promotion seeking Larbert lads had to fight all the way for the goal which gave them the points in Monday night’s League game – after City had given them a nasty shock by taking the lead after half an hour. That Brechin did not manage to retain it again was no reflection on the doughty defence.

City play their last game of another disappointing season when they meet Stenhousemuir at Glebe Park on Saturday. At their annual general meeting last Tuesday a loss of nearly £700 was reported for the season.

Willie Nicoll, City’s centre-half, has given up the game due to business commitments.

40 years ago

Bowling: On a sunny though cool day Brechin green was opened with six full rinks in play. MR E. French president, in declaring the green open, wished everybody a happy and successful season and Mrs French threw the first jack.

The company were entertained to tea by the president and vice-president, Mr J. S. Bell, with Mrs French and Mrs Bell as hostesses and supporting band of helpers. Mr S. Ormerod, past presidents, expressed the thanks of the members for the hospitality.

Bowling prizes were won by Messrs. D. Young, A, McGowan, A. M. Fraser and G. Smart, skip, while Mrs H. Hampton won the prize draw.

The over-all result was - President, 108; vice-president, 119.

GOLF: At the annual general meeting of the Edzell Golf Club, held on April 25, Dr T. C. K. Marr was appointed captain, taking the place of the retiring captain Mr A. J. Hunter.

30 years ago

Football: Brechin City, 1; Forfar Athletic, 0.

Brechin City can look back on many hard-fought games with Forfar Athletic - but none so momentous in its importance as Saturday’s derby at Glebe Park.

The homesters needed just one point to assure them of promotion to the First Division next season. For the first half hour, especially, it was hard going against the Loons’ door defence but just after the interval came a tremendous thrill for the home spectators with Gerry Leslie’s spectacular counter.

Thereafter the home defence saw to it that they did no lose even one of their points to the Loons.

About 1300 saw the game and at the end of the game the City team were mobbed by exuberant youngsters invading the pitch.

Player / manager Ian Fleming returned from the dressing room to acknowledge the cheering.

If Brechin City beat Meadowbank Thistle on Saturday, the second last game in a remarkable season, they will be League champions.