Sporting yesteryear

50 years ago

Football: Brechin Vics were heavily defeated by their Arbroath namesakes in a league game at Arbroath on Saturday. The Brechin side put up a better show on Tuesday night, however, when they beat Forfar West End 4-2 at Nursery Park.

Matrix had a grand 2-1 win over Kirriemuir last Friday. Their young centre, Annandale, scored both goals; he has scored in every game since joining Matrix last month and his performances are pleasing club officials.

Brechin City’s retained players have accepted a cut in wages for next season.

40 years ago

Bowls: Edzell Ladies’ Bowling Club, the oldest in Angus, celebrated its golden jubilee this year. This year the members will again be competing for their first trophy, the Sim Cup (now to be the Robertson Cup). The Ladies Club’s first president, Mrs J R Sim, presented the Cup, which was won outright by Mrs D. A. Robertson, Struan Cottage. Mrs Robertson left Edzell for Edinburgh where she made her home with her daughter, Mrs Alexander Smith, until her death last year. Mrs Smith has now returned the cup to the club to be competed for in memory of her mother.

Football: Brechin Vics, 3; Kirrie Thistle, 0.

In this friendly at Nursery Park Vics showed much better form than was perhaps expected from their lowly place in the league.

They opened with a dash. Downie, however, cleared off Marnie’s toe. Boath scraped the bar from the edge of the box. Kirrie broke away but Ritchie went full length to turn the shot around the post. In 25 minutes, Boath beat the ‘keeper all ends up with an angular shot from the edge of the box. Five minutes later, Chisholm made it two from a Marnie Cross.

Vics’ next goal, in the 85th minute, was an easy one. The ‘keeper muffed a clearance straight to Marnie who shot the ball high in to the net.

30 years ago

Basketball: Brechin ‘B’ travelled to St Andrews to play their last game of the season. Although the local team had defeated the students in an earlier fixture this season, a difficult match was anticipated at St Andrews where the university could easily call on the services of their American students.

The Brechin side stayed in contention for the first period of the game but in a period before half-time the superior shooting ability and considerable height advantage of the students began to tell and by the half-time whistle they had established a 36-18 lead.

Brechin had a better second half in which they scored 38 points but the St Andrews’ players were always able to match Brechin. In the final minutes the students created a host of fast-break situations to finish the game 89-56.