Around the grounds

For Forfar Athletic it has been a week of elation turned to heartbreak in the First Division play-off semi-finals, writes Sarah McLean.

On Wednesday night the club were on a high following their 3-1 win against Dunfermline Athletic at Station Park.

And it started off well for the Loons when Iain Campbell took them 1-0 up on six minutes but Dunfermline fought back to make it 4-4 overall at full time.

But it turned to disaster in extra time when the Pars eventually won 6-1 (aet, agg 7-4) against the eight-man Forfar side.

Brechin City also failed to progress to the play-off semi-finals despite putting up a decent fight against Alloa Athletic.

The final score on Saturday was Alloa Athletic 2, Brechin City 3 (agg 4-3) with Brechin making a massive improvement to their 2-0 defeat on Wednesday night at Glebe Park.

But the second leg didn’t pass without drama either when a dug-out bust up between managers Paul Hartley and Ray McKinnon saw them both sent to the stands after the equaliser.

So it will be Dunfermline Athletic against Alloa Athletic in the First Division play-off final as the dreams of the Angus clubs come to an end.

Well done to both Forfar Athletic and Brechin City, however, for getting as far as they did.

Next season in the Second Division is sure to be an interesting one with three Angus sides still there. In addition to the derbies there will be two Rangers home gates to look forward to which will no doubt boost the coffers for the local clubs somewhat.

Elsewhere in the play-offs, East Fife had an extra-time winner against Berwick Rangers on Saturday to book a place in the Second Division play-off final against Peterhead.

The final score was East Fife 2, Berwick Rangers 1 (aet, agg 3-2).

This followed Peterhead’s 3-1 win over Queen’s Park (agg 4-1) over the two legs of the semi-final.

At the top end Celtic received the SPL trophy after defeating St. Johnstone.

At the other end of the SPL, Dundee will be relegated back to the First Division after a difficult season.