Around the grounds

Saturday proved to be a mixed bag of results for the SPFL teams here in Angus with two wins and two defeats being recorded, writes Sarah McLean.

Forfar Athletic travelled to Somerset Park to face Ayr United but unfortunately came home empty handed after being on the wrong end of a 2-0 scoreline.

Craig Malcolm opened the scoring for the home side just before half-time but the deal was sealed in the 75th minute by a Michael Moffat penalty which was awarded after veteran defender Darren Dods saw red for denying a scoring opportunity.

The result saw the Loons sink to eighth in the League One table.

Brechin City welcomed East Fife to Glebe Park and were on the right side of the 2-0 scoreline. But they left it late with both goals coming in the second half.

Ryan Donnelly opened the account in the 66th minute while Alan Trouten, who is often among the goals, clinched it with seven minutes to go.

Brechin City are currently sitting fifth in the League One table as they continue the good form that saw them do so well last season.

And all eyes will be on both Forfar Athletic and Brechin City this coming Saturday as they prepare for the first derby encounter of the season at Glebe Park.

Arbroath also had reason to celebrate as they won 3-2 against recently relegated side Dunfermline Athletic on their home turf. And despite it being goals galore, they all came in the first half.

Steven Milne opened the scoring for the visitors eight minutes in with Callum Morris equalising just before the half hour mark. Shaun Byrne netted Dunfermline’s second in the 41st minute but Alan Cook equalised with a penalty in the 44th minute only to take the winner a minute into first half stoppage time.

Arbroath, who are sitting sixth, are on their travels again on Saturday heading for East Fife.

In League Two, Montrose were unfortunate to lose 2-1 to Annan Athletic with all the goals coming in the last half hour. Kenneth MacKay made it 1-0 just past the hour mark before Steven Black made it 2-0 in the 76th minute. Garry Wood pulled back a penalty in 87 minutes.