Around the Grounds

Brechin City were the only Angus team to have cause to celebrate on Saturday as they took all three points from their derby clash with Forfar Athletic, writes Sarah McLean.

Craig Molloy opened the scoring for the Glebe Park side with just under 20 minutes to go but that was it for the first half.

In the second half, Alan Trouten didn’t waste too much time before doubling the home side’s lead in the 54th minute. And it looked like Forfar Athletic were going to go home 2-0 down when an Iain Campbell penalty in the 90th minute saw them pull back a goal to make it 2-1.

So Forfar are still looking for their first league win of the season. They host Stenhousemuir at Station Park this coming Saturday so there are high hopes that this will be the game to get the ball rolling.

However, the Warriors have been playing well so far so it is sure to be a tough one.

Brechin City on the other hand have yet more derby action to look forward to when they travel the short distance to the coast to face Arbroath at Gayfield.

The Lichties will be out for a win too after they went down 2-1 to East Fife on Saturday.

Scott Durie opened the account for the Bayview side just 10 minutes in with Liam Buchanan making it 2-0 with a penalty just after the half hour mark.

Arbroath’s Alan Cook pulled a goal back with four minutes left to go of the first half but it was not enough to see them take away any points.

The Gayfield side are currently sitting seventh in the table, just above Forfar who are sitting eighth. Brechin City have the best position of the League One sides in Angus as they are in fifth.

In League Two Montrose managed to scrape their first point of the season after a 1-1 draw with Berwick Rangers at Links Park.

The home side did have a fair amount of chances in the first half but they failed to take advantage of any of them and so it remained 0-0 at the break.

Darren Lavery broke the deadlock for the visitors in the 68th minute and it looked like it was not going to be a good day for Montrose. But Paul Watson struck gold for the Gable Endies with six minutes to go to make it equal.