Around the grounds

Arbroath eventually brought an end to their run of poor results with a 2-1 win over Stenhousemuir at Gayfield on Saturday, writes Sarah McLean.

The visitors opened the scoring in the 13th minute with a Darren Smith strike but Christopher Scott equalised for the home side just before the 20 minute mark.

It was looking like it would be a point apiece for the teams but Arbroath’s Dayle Robertson kept the three points at home with a goal three minutes from time.

The win was not enough to see the Lichties rise from ninth in the league table and with Rangers at Ibrox ahead of them this Saturday it remains an uphill battle.

Brechin City seem to have regained their good form from earlier in the season and they rose to sixth in the table after a 3-1 win over Ayr United at Somerset Park on Saturday.

Gerry McLauchlan opened the scoring for the visitors 12 minutes in before the advantage was increased to two just after the half hour mark courtesy of a Kyle McAusland own goal. Gordon Pope pulled back a goal for the home side with just over 10 minutes to go but a Graham Hay goal in the 92nd minute saw the three points head home to Glebe Park. This Saturday Brechin will face Dunfermline Athletic at the Glebe.

Forfar Athletic remain fifth in the table after a 2-0 defeat to Rangers at Station Park on Monday night. Two goals late into the second half saw Rangers take the three points and go 20 points clear at the top of the SPFL League One. Bilel Mohsni headed in with 15 minutes to go before an outstanding David Templeton strike in the closing minute made it 2-0. Forfar face East Fife away on Saturday.

In the SPFL League Two, Montrose suffered yet another defeat though it should have been at least a point for the home side. Garry Wood opened the scoring 21 minutes in for Montrose to make it 1-0 going into the break. In the 52nd minute a Stephen McNally own goal made it 1-1. Rory McAllister took Peterhead into the lead three minutes later and his controversial second goal was ruled to have gone in by the linesman to make it 3-1. Terry Masson pulled back a goal for the Gable Endies in the 90th minute but the final score was 3-2. Next Saturday Montrose will face Elgin City away from home.