Arthur’s honour

Arthur Milne has been added to Dundee United Football Club's Hall of Fame.
Arthur Milne has been added to Dundee United Football Club's Hall of Fame.

A Brechin-born Dundee United player from the 1930s has been added to the club’s Tannadice Hall of Fame.

Arthur Milne (pictured right) was born in Brechin’s Montrose Street on December 11, 1914 and attended the Andover and Bank Street schools before starting as an apprenticeship as a joiner with Wm. Black and son.

His first football club was Brechin Victoria juniors where he played for only half a season before he was snapped up in 1934 by the late Jimmy Brownlie, a famous goal keeper in his day and the then manager of Dundee United (1934-37).

Arthur made a sensational debut on November 28 scoring four times.

He then went on to be the top scored that season with 28 goals in 22 appearances.

The following season he netted 35 times in 31 outings.

He went on to score 85 goals in 81 appearances.

No other player in the club’s history has achieved a ration better than one goal per game.

In 1937, Arthur had a pay dispute with the club which led to him going on trial with Liverpool.

His trial, however, created a registration mix-up which led him being declared a free agent. Hibernian (1937-46) took full advantage of the opportunity and signed him for no fee. For the next two seasons he was Hibs’ top scorer.

His career was interrupted by the outbreak of the second world war which curtailed competitive football in the UK.

Arthur served in the RAF during the war but kept a keen interest in his football, playing for the RAF team and guesting for various other clubs when available,

Arthur kept banging in the goals and was honoured in October 1944 when he was selected to play for Scotland against England at Wembley.

The Scotland right-half that day was the great Bill Shankly.

In the England team were famous names like Stanley Matthews, Joe Mercer, Tommy Hawton and Frank Swift.

When league football resumed in 1946 Arthur returned to Hibs for a spell before being transferred to St Mirren (1946-50) for a fee of £2000.

He stayed with the Paisley Club for four seasons before moving to Northern Ireland in the summer of 1950 to become player-coach of Coleraine (1950-53).

Arthur hung up his boots and returned to Edinburgh where he worked for a time in the brewery business then as a traffic warden until his retirement.

During his retirement he and his wife, Betty, enjoyed nothing better than spending a few days with relatives in his native Brechin.

Sadly Arthur passed away in May 1997, Betty still resides in Edinburgh.

Arthur’s son, Arthur jnr (Newbury, England) and daughter Catherine (Edinburgh) were guest of honour at the dinner.

Arthur was added to the Dundee United Football Club Hall of Fame 2012 earlier last month.