Inveresk Community Councillors are keen to get Pirner’s Brig repaired and re-opened.
Pirner’s Brig, a favourite picnic spot, has a bridge which crosses a gorge along west water. Unfortunately the bridge was closed by Angus Council after it was deemed as being unsafe.
Pirner’s Brig got its name from the Coates family who donated the bridge. The family worked in the manufacture of sewing reels, bobbins, or pirns, and threads and hence the name Pirner’s Brig came about.
The bridge, which was primarily used by fishermen to gain access to fishing areas, was also used by the public.
Many locals would like the bridge to be re-opened but there is a question mark over who owns the bridge.
Although not responsible for the bridge the Edzell Village Improvement Society carried out repairs to it a decade ago.
A spokesperson from the Inveresk Community Council said: “Through the Community Council, Angus Council was asked if they would consider repairing and opening the bridge. Their response was that they did not know who owned the bridge. This was the same case for the land owners at either side if the bridge.
“This a a wonderful area and is used by the public for picnicking. “In summer children can be seen swimming in the waters.
“The history at Pirner’s Brig is interesting as it was once used as a village dump back in the days when horse and carts were used instead of refuge lorries.
“In 1952, after the fire at the Panmure Arms in Edzell, the land was used to collect the debris.
“With the introduction of refuge lorries it was no longer necessary to use the areas as a dumping ground. The council then cleaned up and grassed the ground, creating the picnicking area.
“It would be good if someone would be interested in helping to re-open the bridge. We are currently researching to see if the Army might consider repairing it as part of their training.”