Plans to welcome more commercial business into Brechin has taken a step forward after a group of local businessmen have joined together to safeguard the future of the Matrix site at East Mill - to be known as The Coventry Gauge Estates.
New owners, Kevin Mackie, Jack Souttar, Sandy Pittendreigh and John Milne, who have already invested a seven-figure sum in the site plan to modernise the buildings which are located within easy commute of Aberdeen.
The Matrix started life as the Coventry Gauge and Tool co. Ltd in 1939 when there was a need for a dispersal factory.
In July 1939 the site was purchased and in August of the new factory was ready for production under the name of the War Department.
Following full production in the War department, a new factory entitles the Naval Department was built.
At the same time a canteen, able to feed 500 people was built as was a full medial unit equipped to perform operations, which was complemented by an ambulance and a anti-gas unit.
At the height of the war the Matric employed 1,000 employees.
The end of the war saw the first commercial contract, for printing machines, starting in 1948 until productions was phased out in 1963/64.
Over the following years the company researched and development a variety of products.
In more recent times there was uncertainty about the future of the site following the collapse of former owners Kelman Engineering.
The site, also home to Aberdeen-based company Hydrus, is assured with the Matrix and Hydrus having signed a 10-year lease on the site.
Work has now commenced on bringing some of the buildings up to a marketable standard, giving excellent road links to Aberdeen and space and facilities at an affordable price, with the hope of bringing another business to the area.