Castle gardens set to open to the public

0
Have your say

The majestic gardens at Brechin Castle will open to the public on Sunday for their 70th year as part of the Scotland’s Gardens programme.

Brechin Castle Gardens covers over 40 acres of planted parkland and includes the famous walled garden.

Pictured infront of the tree which was donated by the Scottish Garden Scheme in 1992 to mark 50 years of opening the garden to the public through the garden scheme are Laura Keenan and Connor Cook.

Pictured infront of the tree which was donated by the Scottish Garden Scheme in 1992 to mark 50 years of opening the garden to the public through the garden scheme are Laura Keenan and Connor Cook.

The gardens link to the castle by woodland paths which are awash with the vibrant colours of azaleas and large leaved rhododendrons in Spring.

The walled garden is slightly over 13 acres.

The first formally designed landscaping for Brechin Castle Gardens was done by Alexander Edward for the 4th Earl of Panmure between 1701 - 1708.

Since that period there have been many improvements, including the addition of shrub and woodland garden in the early 20th century.

The gardens link to the castle by woodland paths which are awash with the vibrant colours of azaleas and large leaved rhododendrons in Spring.

The gardens are located on a sloping south facing site surrounded by mature trees and are walled.

The extensive upper garden is open to the sun and contains areas of lawn, mature ornamental tree plantings, beds and borders and a superb mature and beautifully kept shaped yew hedge.

Talking ahead of the open afternoon is head gardener Laura Keenan.

“The garden is looking good,” she explains. “We go to an amazing amount of effort to get the garden looking so nice ahead of this event.

“The gardens are so gorgeous that I have to pinch myself at this time of the year.

“The walls are the most amazing shape - there is not another garden in the UK, and I would bet there is not another garden in the world, that is the shape that this one is.

“The scheme is a good charity event. When we open for the Scottish Garden programme 60% of the proceeds go to them and we get to dispose of the other 40% to other charities of our choice.

“Our other charities are the Unicorn in Dundee and the Dalhousie Day Care Centre.”

Laura, who job shares with her husband, started gardening as a hobby before realising that she could do it as a living.

Having trained at Threave Gardens and Barony in Dumfries, Laura worked in Cheshire, and France before heading up to Brechin.

One of the highlights of the garden is the large collection of rhododendrons, many of which are sourced with the help of Kenneth Cox of Glendoick.

During the afternoon there will be a number of stalls and activities including a plant stall, tombola and home-made tea and cakes which will be served in the garden room.

To keep the children entertained there will be drawing, painting and colouring activities as well as trails around the garden.

The Gardens are open to visitors under Scotland’s Garden programme on Sunday, May 6 from 2pm to 5pm with admission of £4 for adults, £3.50 for senior citizens.

Children under 12 are free.

Join Brechin Castle Gardens on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brechin-Castle-Gardens/230696430328923