Firefighters were called to a Brechin primary school today (November 17), after a fire broke out in the changing rooms.
Scottish Fire and Rescue Service responded to a call at 1.19 p.m. this afternoon at Andover Primary School.
Two appliances arrived on scene, one from Brechin and one from Forfar. Shortly after their arrival two further appliances were requested, a second pump from Forfar and an appliance from Arbroath which had ventilation equipment on board.
The fire was located in the changing rooms and firefighters in breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets to quickly extinguish the fire.
All staff and pupils were accounted for and no one was injured.
Station Manager Fraser Scott said: “The crews responded very quickly and managed to bring the fire under control in a short space of time.
“The room itself has been extensively damaged by smoke and fire and there is significant smoke logging throughout the building.
“The school was quickly evacuated and everyone has been accounted for.”
He added: “A joint investigation between the fire service and Police Scotland will now take place to establish the cause of the fire.”
Crews remain at the scene and firefighters are ventilating the building using a PPV (positive pressure ventilation) fan due to the heavy smoke logging. Crews also checked for any signs of fire spread using thermal imaging cameras.
Angus Council shared the news on their Twitter feed, whilst Andover Primary School announced the news on Facebook.
Parents were contacted to collect their children, and a further update from the local authority after 3 p.m. on Twitter advised that children who had not yet being collected were being taken to Brechin Leisure Centre.
The school confirmed on their Facebook page that tonight’s Parents’ Evening had been postponed.