Fire service urge public not to leave candles unattended following fire

Editorial image
Editorial image

Householders have been warned about the dangers of leaving candles unattended, after a house fire was cause by an unattended tea light in Montrose recently.

Although no injuries were reported as a result of the fire, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service have encouraged the public to be cautious, with Watch Manager Mike Cassie crediting the quick response from his crew at preventing a more serious outcome.

He said: “This fire was caused by a tea light which had been left unattended for a short period of time in an upstairs bedroom. The incident highlights the fact that candles should never be left unattended.

“The property also did not have working smoke alarms fitted, which would have alerted the occupants to the presence of a fire much more quickly.

“We would encourage anyone who doesn’t have a smoke alarm to have one fitted immediately. Smoke alarms save lives.

“If you don’t have one then call Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and arrange a free Home Fire Safety Visit and we will provide you with a smoke alarm free of charge. It could save your life.”

He added: “I would also like to pay tribute to the crews who attended last night, many of whom are very young in service.

“The conditions inside the property were very challenging with a lot of thick smoke and intense heat. They did very well to contain the fire to the bedroom and prevent further fire spread.

“There was smoke damage within the property but the fire damaged was limited to the bedroom. Had it not been for their quick response the outcome could have been a lot more serious.”

Fire fighters from Brechin carried out 264 home visits in the town in 2013.

Home Fire Safety Visits can be arranged by calling 0800 0731 999, texting “Check” to 61611 from your mobile phone or completing an online form at www.firescotland.gov.uk/your-safety/hfsv-form.aspx