Letting off fireworks and building bonfires near electrical equipment can cause serious injuries to those nearby, Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution advises.
The company is urging people to stay well clear of its power lines and substation sites on bonfire night.
Rodney Grubb, the company’s head of operations, warned: “Please take some time to look around you for any electrical hazards. Building a bonfire or letting off fireworks near power lines could cause a power cut to your own home or your neighbours’. And, it could also pose a real safety risk to those around you.”
He added: “Electricity can jump gaps, and stray rockets can damage and even bring down overhead lines. The resulting flash could cause very serious burns.”