Anyone who currently smokes an average of 20 cigarettes a day but decides to quit today could save a serious amount to treat themselves or their loved ones to a special festive gift.
Those who quit at the start of the month, could have saved £202.08 by Christmas Day.
Health improvement project support officer Jodi Moodie, said: “This time of year can be very expensive for people, but if smokers quit now, they could save money to treat themselves or their families during the Christmas holidays.
“As well as a financial incentive for Christmas, giving up smoking is the single most important lifestyle decision that anyone can make to improve their health immediately and we can offer advice and support to anybody who would like to quit.
“Smoking is a serious issue and has long been considered the biggest single cause of preventable ill health and premature death within Scotland.
“Stopping smoking can reduce that risk, as well as improve breathing, circulation and energy levels to name a few.”
Anyone who wants to stop smoking can call NHS Tayside Smoke Free Services on 0845 600 999 6 to find out about all the ways in which NHS Tayside can help support people to become smoke free. You can also join the Facebook page at www.facebook.com/nhstaysidesmokefree
* 20 minutes after quitting, your blood pressure and pulse return to normal
* 48 hours - no nicotine is left in your body. Your senses of taste and smell are greatly improved
* 72 hours - your breathing becomes easier and your energy levels increase
* 2-12 weeks after quitting smoking your circulation improves and exercise can be easier
* 3-9 months - any coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve
* Within five years the risk of heart attack is halved
* Within 10 years the risk of lung cancer is halved and the risk of heart attack is at the same level as non-smokers
* Medium to long term – stopping smoking at any age increases your life expectancy, provided you stop before the onset of serious disease. Even if you have developed a disease, you can benefit from stopping as your body will be under less strain and be able to fight it more easily.