Tacaca (hot and sour soup)
For the dumplings: 150g minced pork; 150g raw tiger prawns, deveined and finely chopped; 1 spring onion, finely chopped; 2tsp rice wine vinegar; 2tsp cornflour; Sea salt and white pepper; 24 wonton wrappers.For the soup: 1.5 litres fresh chicken stock; 2 red chillies, finely sliced; Thumb-sized piece root ginger, sliced; 2 cloves garlic, bashed; 150g fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced; 1tbsp cornflour, mixed with 1 tbsp cold water; 6 spring onions, finely sliced; Small bunch coriander, roughly chopped; Juice of 2-3 limes; Light soy sauce.
1. First make the dumplings. Combine the pork, prawns, spring onion, vinegar and cornflour in a bowl and season with salt and white pepper.
2. Divide the mixture between the wonton wrappers, then wet the edges with a little water, fold and twist to seal.
3. Place on a tray lined with greaseproof paper and transfer to the fridge for 20 minutes, until firm.
4. Meanwhile pour the chicken stock, chillies, ginger, garlic and mushrooms into a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
5. Turn the heat down very low and cook gently for 10-15 minutes to infuse the stock.
6. Add the dumplings, bring back to a simmer and cook for three to four minutes.
7. Just before the dumplings are cooked, stir through the cornflour mixture and cook for a minute until thickened. Remove from the heat, stir through the spring onions and coriander and add lime juice and soy sauce to taste.