Brechin whisky adds a touch of glamour to Hollywood movie

Pictured: Whisky produced by the old North Port Distillery has featured several times in American productions.

Pictured: Whisky produced by the old North Port Distillery has featured several times in American productions.

0
Have your say

Hollywood and Brechin isn’t a pairing you would think off - but it just so happened that in ‘A Single Man’, a bit of Brechin appears in the film.

During one scene in the Oscar nominated movie, starring Colin Firth and Julianne Moore, Firth’s character (George Falconer) pours himself a glass of whisky.

His tipple of choice? Brechin’s own North Port 20-year-old malt whisky.

There is no known reason why this brand of whisky was selected.

The movie is set in the 1960s, and that particular brand of whisky wasn’t on sale until at least 1979, so historical accuracy can be ruled out.

The same whisky was also featured in US sitcom ‘Parks and Recreation’, so perhaps it’s just an American favourite.

The North Port Distillery was founded in 1820 by the Townhead Distillery Company - a consortium including the brothers Guthrie: Alexander, David and John.

The Distillery was named Townhead until 1823 when it became the Brechin Distillery. Due to its location near the Northern gate, it was renamed North Port in 1839.

In 1922 Distillers Company Limited acquired the site, and it was transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers. It later became part of Diageo.

North Port Distillery closed in 1939 and remained shut until 1948. It was used as accommodation for the Polish Army during the Second World War.

It was after the war, and the abolition of rationing, that popularity for whisky soared. The distilleries and producers were keen to meet demand and before too long the market became saturated.

The 1980s were a trying time for the industry and in 1983 a host of distilleries were forced to face the economic realities and as such the North Port Distillery, as an unprofitable site, was closed for good.

The distillery was demolished in 1993, and since then the Co-Op supermarket has been built on the land.

All that remains of the old site, are the signs for Distillery Street and some of the original brickwork used inside the car park near the roundabout.