An Edzell WWII soldier is set to be remembered every year after a fun run at The Burn House has been set up in his memory.
The event has been organised in memory of James Russell, whose family owned the estate in the 1930s and 1940s.
James served as an infantry officer but was killed in action outside Florence on July 24, 1944, aged 21.
The Burn was offered to the war effort by his parents, George and Marjory, and operated as a military convalescent home. Following James’ death, they never returned to The Burn.
In 1949, they gifted the house and grounds to what is now known as Goodenough College in memory of James and it is still supporting student activities, as it was intended to.
To honour James’ memory, plans are in place to hold a yearly fun-run, named the Russell Run, to help raise money for The Burn House.
The race, which will be started by The Earl of Dalhousie, will be run entirely on The Burn’s grounds. It will start at The Burn’s main entrance, and go through woods, over fields, along the Esk and the Blue Door Walk, and end at the main entrance.
Paul Middlemiss, from Goodenough College, said: “Quite soon, posters will start to appear in and around Edzell to advertise the event: thereafter instruction will be publicised so that keen runners may be bale to register. There will also be a team category and all of the Scottish University have been approached to see whether they will be entering a team.”
The race will be held on Sunday, July 19.