Two families evacuated after blaze at Eastbank flat

20110107- Brechin Fire at Eastbank. 'Mr. Steel surveys the damage caused from the fire in the flat above. ''"Andy Thompson Photography",'"No use without payment",'"Tel: 07795437362" ,'"www.atimages.com" ,

20110107- Brechin Fire at Eastbank. 'Mr. Steel surveys the damage caused from the fire in the flat above. ''"Andy Thompson Photography",'"No use without payment",'"Tel: 07795437362" ,'"www.atimages.com" ,

0
Have your say

A BRECHIN woman has spoken of her relief after she and her husband managed to evacuate their young family from their burning home in Eastbank.

Iryna and Allan Ewart were forced to grab sons Vincent (6) and Ramsay (2) after fire broke out in their flat in the early hours of Friday morning and their home was quickly affected by smoke and fumes.

The family made good their escape and Iryna said that Vincent, while initially upset, soon perked up when he saw the arrival of the fire engine.

“It was the smoke that woke us up, but to be honest we didn’t know what was happening to begin with.

“Obviously we knew we had to get the kids and get out of the house as quickly as we could.

“I wasn’t really scared but Vincent started crying, because he thought we were going to die.

“He certainly perked up a little when he saw the fire engine. We told him it was Fireman Sam.”

Firefighters from Brechin and Montrose tackled the blaze, which had broken out in the chimney of the neighbouring flat and spread through the walls, leaving a gaping hole in the ceiling of pensioners Martin and Margaret Steel’s home.

The families were taken to Brechin Police Station and a support unit was scrambled from the Kingsway East station in Dundee to assist the local crews.

The assembled crews were only stood down several hours later, after the fire scene had been deemed safe.

Station manager Mark Cruck from Kingsway East said the families had both had lucky escapes:

“The fire spread quickly and went behind the plaster, mainly because of the age of the building. There was also a fair amount of damage.”

He added that officials at Tayside Fire and Rescue were working to ensure that all homes in the block of flats were fitted with working smoke alarms.