A solid start

Have your say

Brechin City opened their league campaign with a comfortable one-nil home win over Albion Rovers on Saturday (writes Amanda Taylor).

The score-line failed to reflect how dominant City were in the match as they sought to put the previous week’s four-nil cup defeat behind them.

It was City who took the first real chance in the match as they pounced on a mistake from Albion to grab the lead.

Jonathan Stewart broke down the right wing and whipped in a cross that Albion goalkeeper Chris McLuskey, a former City player, could only palm into the path of Andy Jackson.

Jackson punished the keeper’s error, blasting the ball into the back of the net.

Brechin seemed likely to increase their lead in the 30th minute, but Craig Molloy’s shot was blocked and David McKenna seemed to hesitate a split second too long and McLuskey was able to save his attempt on goal.

Mere moments later another opportunity slipped from City’s grasp as Scott Dalziel seen his effort go agonizingly past the left hand post and out for a goal-kick.

City had an appeal for a penalty turned down when it seemed Jackson had been fouled in the box, but referee Alan Muir was not interested, much to the annoyance of City fans.

During the second half, Albion Rovers tried to edge their way back into the match, but City proved too tough to break down.

Rovers couldn’t seem to find the net, firing a free-kick over the bar from 20 yards out in the 65th minute.

In the 71st minute it was Rovers’ turn to claim for a penalty after Ewan Moyes blocked a shot.

Rovers claimed it hit off his arm, but the referee rightly played on.

Brechin had another chance to double their lead when Jackson burst in to the box with only the ‘keeper to beat, but McLuskey made himself big and was able to avoid conceding again.

Gordon Dick had the last chance for Rovers, but his long range effort was deflected wide and they couldn’t create a chance from the resulting corner.

City had one last chance in the dying minutes of the match but McKenna couldn’t quite connect fully with the ball, leaving McLuskey with an easy save.

Manager Jim Weir said: “It’s nice to get a win under the belt.

“I am pleased with the overall performance.

“We lost some bad goals the previous week but I thought we defended really well against Albion.”

Discussing the club’s injury concerns, which led to coach Andy Millen being named as a substitute, Weir added: “They’re not really long term injuries.

“Carcary has a fracture on his foot but it’s on the mend and he should be back in a couple of weeks.

“Trouten, who hasn’t played for us yet, has some swelling on the back of his knee but hopefully he will be fit in two to three weeks.”

Next up for City is a trip to take on Stenhousemuir in the league this coming Saturday, and a chance to build on what is a solid start to the new campaign in terms of getting vital points on the board.