Airdrieonians 1-0 Brechin City: Brechin return to bottom of League One following Liam Watt winner

Photo - Derek Watt.
Photo - Derek Watt.

Brechin City’s recent run of positive results came to a halt with a 1-0 defeat against Airdrieonians on Saturday.

The home side secured the points with the aid of a deflected 20 yard shot at the start of the second half from Liam Watt.

City lined up with only one change to the starting line up from the previous match against Stenhousemuir.

This saw central defender Ross Perry making his first start since the league’s opening day mauling against Dunfermline Athletic and player-manager Darren Dods reverting to his preferred place on the bench.

The majority of the match was a series of long range efforts from both sides which, in the main, failed to seriously trouble either goalkeeper.

City had first half efforts from Dene Shields, Andy Jackson and Craig Molloy (twice) before Graeme Smith in the City goal was well positioned to hold a powerful drive from George Hunter.

An inswinging corner from City’s dead ball specialist Willie Dyer almost sneaked in, but the ball struck the near post, and a back-tracking Tiger Molloy did well to quell a dangerous Airdrie break in the same passage of play.

The home side scored the game’s only goal two minutes into the second half.

A free kick was only partially cleared, but manager Dods will doubtless be disappointed that the City defence didn’t fully snuff out the danger.

Liam Watt took possession just outside the penalty box before evading two challenges and firing off a shot at goal.

Then came the wicked deflection which left Smith stranded, leaving him looking on helplessly as the ball dropped into the net.

The theme of long range shooting continued with the game’s best shot and save.

Airdrie’s Kevin McBride connected superbly with a dropping ball on the corner of the box, and his vicious thundering volley forced Smith into an outstanding reaction save, diving low to his right to turn the ball wide of goal.

City had a let-off moments later when a poorly defended corner saw central defender Sean Crighton rise in splendid isolation, only to send his free header well over the crossbar from a central position around six yards out.

The final stages of the match saw City press but create little of note. An impressive display from home keeper Neil Parry saw him collect numerous cross balls which all but negated any lingering Brechin City threat.

In added-on time, City’s final attempt to rescue a point was a powerful low drive from defender Perry from some 35-yards or so which saw Parry sprawl low to his left to gather the ball.

As the final whistle blew, Dods and his players were left reflecting on a zero points return.