Arbroath come out on top in clash of the Vics

The battle of the Vics was played on a heavy pitch with a very strong wind blowing straight down the pitch.

Brechin were first to threaten when Mustard sent Strachan away, but a well timed tackle prevented him from getting his shot away.

Arbroath were next to have an effort on goal, but S. Eaton cleared at the back post.

The visitors forced the Arbroath ‘keeper into action 23 minutes in when he had to save a Whitworth shot from a Strachan free kick.

The deadlock was broken by Arbroath on 38 minutes. Robbie had punched clear a Johnston free kick, but the ball was returned into the area with Warren sending a dangerous pass across the face of the goal which was stabbed home by Kenny at the back post.

Half-time: Arbroath Vics 1

Brechin Vics 0

Brechin almost equalised a minute into the second half when Robbie sent a huge clearance upfield to Dunn, with the player then setting up Whitworth, who was crudely sent crashing to the ground just outside the box.

However, the resulting free kick was well saved by the home ‘keeper.

Dunn came close on 53 minutes when his curling shot from 18 yards beat the ‘keeper but it was just wide of the right hand post.

Both sides were struggling to master the conditions and although Arbroath edged possession, it was Brechin who again came close when an S. Eaton cross was fumbled by the ‘keeper, but just fell out of the reach of Ross and was cleared to safety.

Arbroath secured the points on 86 minutes when Watson was put in on goal and squeezed his shot past Robbie just inside the far post.

Team: Robbie, S. Eaton, C. Eaton, Ross, Cairney, Mustard, McKay, Stephen, Dunn, Whitworth and Strachan. Subs: Bayfield, Henderson, Renilson, Smith and Reekie.

A spokesperson for the club said: “It was a disappointing performance from Brechin who never really got their passing game going. Vics will need to improve for Saturday’s game (February 15) when they travel to meet league leaders Dundee North End. The match kicks off at 2. 15 p.m.”