Around the grounds

Another bout of terrible weather on Saturday provided nightmare conditions for many of the SPFL games played, writes Sarah McLean.

After defeating Brechin in their Scottish Cup fourth round replay last Tuesday night, Forfar Athletic had their second derby in a week against Arbroath.

In the cup clash, Brechin took the lead seven minutes in through Andy Jackson, before Chris Templeman levelled.

Alan Trouten put Brechin back in front five minutes into the second half but Gavin Malin equalised in the 85th minute.

With the scores level at full-time, the game went to extra time and Brechin took the lead early on through Allan Walker, but Forfar came back again, with Templeman equalising.

It took penalties to separate the sides, and with Brechin having their first and last shots saved, it was youngster Craig Smith who took the winning spot kick for Forfar.

Saturday’s game at Station Park saw terrible conditions as Arbroath made the short journey.

The Loons took the lead a minute into the second half with a goal from Paul McManus but Michael Travis levelled matters with just over five minutes from time to give the teams a point apiece.

Brechin suffered a 3-0 defeat away to Stranraer, and had Darren Petrie sent off in the early minutes of the second half. Jamie Longworth bagged the opening goal just before the half hour mark. Martin Grehan increased the deficit to two just before the hour mark, and Grant Gallagher sealed the win on 90 minutes.

This coming Saturday the SPFL League One fixtures for the Angus sides are as follows: Arbroath v Dunfermline; East Fife v Brechin City and Forfar Athletic v Ayr United.

In the SPFL League Two, Clyde got back on top at the expense of Montrose after a 2-0 win at Links Park.

The 10-man Montrose side were defeated with two goals in quick succession by the visitors.

Kevin Watt netted the opening goal on the half hour mark before Scott Ferguson made it 2-0 three minutes later much to the disappointment of the home fans.