Around the grounds

Despite going into the game full of confidence, Forfar Athletic were doomed to defeat when they faced Stenhousemuir at Ochilview on Saturday, writes Sarah McLean.

Darren Smith put the home side into the lead just 14 minutes in but it remained the only goal of the period.

A stunning goal from Stuart Malcolm just before the hour mark levelled up the score but then the floodgates opened for the Warriors.

Sean Dickson scored his first three minutes after Malcolm’s goal with his second following 12 minutes later.

Darren Smith took his second two minutes from time to make the final score 4-1.

The result saw the Loons drop back down to seventh in the table.

It’s a busy week for the Loons this week as they travelled to face Ayr United as we went to press on Tuesday. On Saturday they face Brechin City at Station Park.

Brechin City dropped a place to sixth after being defeated by bottom of the table side Arbroath at Glebe Park in a local derby.

Bobby Linn gave the visitors the advantage six minutes in with his second goal coming just after the 22nd minute mark.

It was 2-0 going into the break and it didn’t take long into the second half before Arbroath made Brechin’s day even worse with a goal from Michael Travis in the 53rd minute.

Andy Jackson pulled back a goal in the 57th minute with another to follow from Robert Thomson just on the hour mark.

But it proved to be Arbroath’s day when Paul McManus sealed the 4-2 result with a goal in the 64th minute.

Despite the win, the three points were not enough to lift Arbroath up from the depths of the League One table and they remain in the relegation spot. Paul Sheerin’s side have just 21 points, four behind ninth placed East Fife.

This Saturday Arbroath face East Fife at Gayfield in a bottom of the table clash.

In the SPFL League Two a five minute burst of activity in the second half saw all three goals of the game between Montrose and Albion Rovers at Links Park.

Gary Phillips took the visitors into the lead in the 52nd minute only for Scott Johnston to equalise two minutes later. Terry Masson was the home side hero for the day when he made it 2-1 two minutes later.