Around the grounds

It was a mixed bag of results for the Angus sides this weekend, with both Arbroath and Brechin losing, and Forfar and Montrose recording wins.

Forfar welcomed Stranraer to Station Park, and a goal in the 15th minute from Dale Hilson was enough for Forfar to seal a victory against their play-off rivals. Stranraer did try to get something out of the match, but Rab Douglas was on hand to make a number of saves to deny the visitors.

Brechin City travelled to face Stenhousemuir, and despite a promising come back, the home side took all three points. Darren Smith headed home in the second minute, before Sean Dickson doubled Stenhousemuir’s lead.

Alan Trouten pulled one back before half-time, but Josh Watt restored the two goal advantage in the second half. Trouten netted a second time, this time from the spot, but a goal from John Gemmell wrapped up the win for The Warriors.

Arbroath had a fierce encounter with Airdrieonians , with both teams keen to secure a win as they fight to avoid relegation. Jim Lister scored the only goal of the match to give Airdrie a 1-0 win, when he headed home a Caolan McAleer corner in the 60th minute. Both teams ended the match with 10-men, with McAleer being sent off for a challenge on Michael Travis and Richard Little getting his marching orders for a tackle on Lister.

This Saturday, Forfar travel to face Airdrieonians, while Arbroath are also on their travels, this time taking on Ayr United, who defeated East Fife 5-0 at the weekend.
Brechin are in action on Sunday, when they welcome League One champions, Rangers, to Glebe Park.

In League Two, Montrose were celebrating after back to back wins after they defeated East Stirlingshire 2-0 at Links Park. David Gray put the home side in front after 15 minutes, before Bryan Deasley doubled their lead just before half-time.

The victory keeps Montrose in the hunt for a play-off place, and they will be looking to build on their winning run when they travel to face fourth place Stirling this Saturday.