Around the grounds

It was a mixed bag for the Angus clubs this week with two wins, a draw and a defeat shared amongst the sides, writes Scott Binnie.

Forfar Athletic lost 2-0 to League One leaders Ayr United in a battle between the two sides at the top of the table.

Dale Hilson almost opened the scoring for the Loons before Jon-Paul McGovern also went close for United.

But Scott McLaughlin grabbed a brace in the game’s final five minutes, the latter of which was from the penalty spot, to continue the fine run of Mark Roberts’ side.

Brechin City were pegged back to a 2-2 draw away to Stranraer after taking an early two-goal lead.

Colin Hamilton headed City in front before Craig Molloy drilled Brechin’s second past Chris Fahey inside 25 minutes.

Adam Forde pulled one back 11 minutes into the second half though before Stephen Stirling completed the comeback in the 90th minute.

Arbroath maintained their three-point lead at the top of Scottish League Two with a fine 2-0 win at Queen’s Park.

Scott McBride put the visitors ahead midway through the second half after converting Simon Murray’s cross.

And McBridge turned provider for substitute Jack Smith to make it two in injury time, meaning Allan Moore’s perfect league record continues.

Montrose moved into third in the table with a 2-0 victory at home to Annan Athletic.

Paul Harkins found the bottom corner with a well-placed finish after gliding through the Annan defence before Paul Watson made it two when he curled in a lovely free kick, ensuring the points against a Galabankies side who remain bolted to the foot of the table.

This weekend Dick Campbell’s Loons entertain Greenock Morton, who sit second in the table following their 2-1 win at Peterhead on Saturday.

Brechin City will play Jim McInally’s Blue Toon at Glebe Park, with both sides sitting in the playoff positions at this admittedly early stage of the campaign.

And in League Two it’s the first Angus derby of the campaign as Allan Moore’s Arbroath welcome George Shields’ Montrose to Gayfield.