Around the grounds

It was mostly a positive weekend for the Angus clubs, with only Montrose suffering defeat.

In the SPFL League One, Forfar Athletic returned to the top of the league table after a 2-0 victory away to Stenhousemuir.

The Loons took the lead after just 11 minutes, with Michael Dunlop heading home a Scott Smith cross.

Rab Douglas was called in to action to keep the hosts at bay, denying both Jamie Reid and Colin McMenamin.

Stephen Husband made sure of all three points in the 71st minute, when he scored from a free kick.

Brechin City extended their unbeaten run to seven games following a 1-1 draw with Airdrieonians at Glebe Park. It wasn’t until the 81st minute that a goal was scored, with Bobby Barr prodding home following a defensive howler from Luca Gasparrotto.

Their lead lasted three minutes before former City player Jim Lister equalised for the visitors, tapping the ball in from close range after his headed effort was spilled by Graeme Smith.

In the SPFL League Two, Arbroath emerged the victors in a thrilling five-goal encounter with Annan Athletic at Gayfield, with the home side taking a 3-0 lead before the visitors rallied. Bobby Linn opened the scoring after 15 minutes, before Jack Smith scored in the 56th minute, and Dylan Carreiro netted a third in the 58th minute.

However, Annan pulled a goal back thanks to a Ryan McStay free kick in the 79th minute. Scott Davidson made it the final few minutes tense for the home fans after he netted in the 87th minute.

Montrose had a dismal afternoon at New Bayview when they travelled to face East Fife, with the home side securing a comfortable 3-0 victory. Ross Campbell opened the scoring two minutes before half-time. Kevin Smith doubled East Fife’s lead in the 60th minute, before Jon McShane wrapped up the scoring in the 90th minute with a penalty kick.

In League One this Saturday (December 13), Forfar welcome Stirling Albion, while Brechin travel to face Greenock Morton.

In League Two, Montrose welcome Queen’s Park, whilst Arbroath travel to take on East Stirlingshire.