Blairgowrie too hot to handle for below par Brechin Vics

Brechin Vics 1

Blairgowrie 5

Although Blairgowrie started the game off with the best of the opening exchanges they did so without troubling the home team’s ‘keeper Robbie.

Vics’ first real opportunity came on 12 minutes when Fullerton played in Whitworth, but his shot went straight to the ‘keeper who cleared it to safety.

Blair took the lead on 27 minutes when their left-back was allowed to travel down the pitch unchallenged before unleashing an unstoppable shot past Robbie from 16 yards.

Vics then fell further behind when they failed to clear a corner and the ball was fired into the net from six yards.

Half time: Brechin Vics, 0; Blairgowrie, 2.

Vics started the second half with determination and were awarded a penalty on 57 minutes.

It wasn’t to be, however, as Fyfe’s spot kick was saved by the Blair ‘keeper.

Not to be put off Vics continued to press and were awarded another penalty when Strachan was fouled in the box.

This time Buggins stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot.

They were back into the game, but for only a minute before a shot from the edge of the box was deflected and, although Robbie got his hand on it, he couldn’t stop the ball hitting the post and crossing the line.

The game was over as a contest when Crowe was shown a straight red card for a reckless tackle on 70 minutes.

Blair were able to add a further two goals on 85 and 89 minutes to complete a miserable afternoon for Vics.

Team: Robbie, Gourlay, C Eaton, Buggins, Gourlay, Dunn, Fullerton, Strachan, Fyfe, Whitworth, Robertson. Subs - S Eaton, Smith and Longmuir

A spokesperson for the Vics said: “The turning points were when Vics got themselves back into the game with Buggins’ penalty and could only hold onto the lead for two minutes and also the sending off of Crowe.

“The overall performance was well below par.”

Saturday’s match

Brechin Vics are in Dundee on Saturday, February 16 when they meet East Craigie. The match kicks off at 2 p.m.