Boxing Day derby delight for City

Pictured: Alan Trouten side foots Derek Carcary's cross into the back of the net for Brechin's third of the afternoon.'Photo by Derek Watt
Pictured: Alan Trouten side foots Derek Carcary's cross into the back of the net for Brechin's third of the afternoon.'Photo by Derek Watt

Brechin City 3

Arbroath 2

Brechin City gave their fans a late Christmas present as they put on an attacking performance against local rivals Arbroath.

City capitalised on Arbroath’s poor first half performance, and could have scored more in the second half had it not been for some saves from Arbroath ‘keeper, Tony Bullock.

City were quick off the mark, and took the lead after only eight minutes. There was some discussion as to whether or not the goal was Alan Trouten’s or a Stuart Malcolm own goal. TROUTEN had battled to the byline with the ball, and played the ball across the face of the goal, where Malcolm was unable to get out of the way and the ball glanced off him to the back of the net.

Arbroath almost hit back four minutes later, but Michael Andrews pulled of a superb save to deny Steven Doris.

Derek Carcary had a chance to extend City’s lead in the 25th minute, but Bullock was able to make the save.

Ten minutes later, PAUL McLEAN was the unlikely scorer as the full back netted his first goal of the season to put City two nil up. McLean, who was deputising at left back, shot from 25 yards out and Bullock was unable to make the save.

Half-time: Brechin City, 2; Arbroath, 0.

Arbroath came out looking a bit sharper in the second half, but City weren’t likely to give up their lead.

In the 57th minute, player manager PAUL SHEERIN made City pay for not clearing the ball from danger when he fired home from a Derek Holmes headed cross.

Just four minutes later, however, City had regained their two goal cushion with a fantastic passing move, with Carcary making the final pass to TROUTEN who had no problem finding the back of the net.

Only three minutes later, there was another goal. Gary Fusco was deemed to have fouled DORIS in the box and the Arbroath striker was quick to get up to take the spot kick. A low hard shot into the bottom right of the goal brought the score to 3-2.

Both Trouten and Carcary had chances to put the game out of Arbroath’s reach, but a combination of saves from Bullock and chances going begging, meant City fans had no more goals to celebrate.

An injury time free-kick presented Arbroath with a final chance to get a draw - but Colin Hamilton’s delivery was both high and wide, and City deservedly ended the game with all three points.

Speaking after the match, manager Ray McKinnon said: “We wanted to put Arbroath on the backfoot right from the off, get at them and put them under pressure. I think we did that. We created so many great opportunities but we never took them. We weren’t clinical enough and credit to Arbroath, they came back into the game. It was a good game, and we’re delighted with the three points.

“Fair play to the lads, they scored three goals and it could have been seven or eight given the chances we missed.

“They dug in at the end to take the victory, so I am really pleased with them.”