Brechin City 2-0 Cowdenbeath: Two in a row for City as gap closed on Blue Brazil

Photo: Derek Watt.
Photo: Derek Watt.

Brechin City narrowed the gap at the foot of the Ladbrokes League One table to just one point after a deserved 2-0 victory over Cowdenbeath at Glebe Park.

City, who gained their first league points of the season last Saturday after beating Peterhead 3-2, were looking to build upon that result and performance against the Blue Brazil and at the end of the day, no-one could deny that City deserved their victory after two second-half goals from on-loan Raith Rovers youngster David Bates and midfielder Jonathan Tiffoney made sure of the points.

Player-boss Darren Dods selected the same side that took the field against Peterhead while the players who had missed that match because of injury, Darren McCormack, Ross Perry and David Weatherston, were all on the bench.

Goal-scoring opportunities were at a premium in a very evenly matched first-half with the Fifers having a couple of early chances in the opening minutes with Graeme Smith doing well to parry a fierce drive from Greig Spence and Sam Orritt firing a 25 yard shot over the bar a minute later.

City’s best opportunities came shortly before the break when a Robert Thomson shot in the 37th minute was smothered at the near post by Cowden keeper Jamie Sneddon and four minutes later a Dods close-range effort was blocked with the player-boss heading the rebound against the crossbar.

City came out of the traps at the beginning of the second-half and they grabbed the lead within four minutes.

Andy Jackson collected the ball in the visitors penalty-box and did well to hold off a couple of challenges before slipping a pass to Bates who forced the ball past Sneddon.

City were now at full throttle, surging towards their opponents’ goal and they doubled their lead in the 63rd minute.

Jackson picked up the ball just within the Cowdenbeath half and slipped it to Thomson who then released Tiffoney wide on the right.

The former Alloa midfielder then pushed forward before drilling in a low shot which was helped on its way into the net by Cowden defender Pat Scullion.

City then created and scorned a number of chances and were nearly made to pay the price in the 83rd minute when the Fifers were awarded a penalty after City sub Craig Johnstone was deemed to have fouled Robbie Buchanan in the box but Smith made a brilliant save from Buchanan’s spot-kick, diving to his right to push the ball away and the visitors’ misery was completed just a minute later when full-back Dean Brett was given his marching orders by referee Gavin Ross for a second bookable offence.

Delighted City boss Darren Dods said: “The players worked really hard in the first-half but unfortunately the final pass let us down but I knew that if we kept playing away we’d create chances in the second-half and it was great to see David Bates score his first goal for the club as he’s done really well since coming in from Raith Rovers. I was also really pleased to see Jonathan Tiffoney score his debut goal and all credit to Graeme Smith who brought off a great penalty save towards the end.

“We’ve now closed the gap at the bottom of the table and our aim now must be to try and take something from next week’s match at Stenhousemuir to move us closer to the pack in the middle of the table.”