Brechin City fail to make to extra man count as Diamonds escape Glebe Park with all three points

Photo - Derek Watt.
Photo - Derek Watt.

brechin city 1 airdrieonians 2

Player-boss Darren Dods made only one change from the side which lost out to Ayr United the previous weekend.

Goalkeeper Graeme Smith faced the first of a two-match ban following last week’s red card incident, allowing Paddy O’Neil to start.

Former player Ben Tough took on the role of substitute keeper.

City created first-half chances, the first of which saw Robert Thomson firing a low shot narrowly wide.

This was followed by two encouraging efforts from diminutive wide-man Craig Johnston.

Firstly he drew an impressive save from the Diamonds’ keeper Parry at the end of a surging run from his own half, and moments later he cut in from wide left and powered in a spectacular dipping drive which was touched over the bar.

Disaster struck City shortly after the half hour mark.

Airdrieonians broke quickly after defending a City corner and found themselves racing forward from the half-way line with a clear numerical advantage.

Caolan McAleer calmly played in Bryan Prunty who comfortably slotted the ball past O’Neil to put the visitors ahead.

The visitors’ number nine found himself on the scoresheet again only three minutes later as he tapped the ball into an unguarded net after O’Neil could only push a Jordan Morton shot into his path.

The second half saw little of inspiration from either side, although a potential turning point arrived after an hour when the visitors’ McAleer was red-carded by referee Salmond for what was deemed to be a reckless lunge on City captain Craig Molloy.

After 72 minutes, City were awarded a penalty after striker Andy Jackson was clearly brought down by Parry.

The frontman picked himself up to take the spot-kick responsibility only to see his effort comfortably blocked by Parry.

Happily for City fans Jackson was first to the rebound and managed to do enough to see the ball bobble over the line to get City a lifeline.

Disappointingly the home side were unable to capitalise on their extra man.

Despite the concession of much of the possession, and a flurry of late home corner kicks, Airdrieonians were able to see the win out comfortably without their defence being forced into any spectacular heroics.

With rumours rife amongst the home support that a left-sided defender was likely to be added to the squad, City’s attention now turns to two consecutive away fixtures.

A trip to Coatbridge to face last season’s League Two Champions Albion Rovers will be followed by the lengthy journey to the far south-west to face Stranraer.

City fans will be hoping that these two fixtures will see an uplift in fortunes before the next action at Glebe Park, a visit from the in-form current league Leaders, county neighbours Forfar Athletic.