Brechin fail to sparkle in cup exit to Diamonds

editorial image

Brechin City are out of the William Hill Scottish Cup after losing 3-1 to Airdrieonians in Saturday’s third round tie at Excelsior Stadium.

The Diamonds grabbed the lead after only five minutes when Taylor Morgan blasted the ball home and although City equalised through Andy Jackson seven minutes later, a further goal from Morgan in the 25th minute saw the hosts restore their advantage.

City tried hard to get back into the match after the interval but Gary Bollan’s men booked their passage into the fourth round when Bryan Prunty slotted the ball home with 20 minutes remaining.

City boss Darren Dods kept his players in the dressing-room long after the final whistle had sounded and when he emerged he was in no mood for pulling punches.

He said: “The goals we’re giving away at the moment are criminal and we will have to get our heads together at training next Tuesday and Thursday and get back to basics in an attempt to try and rectify matters.”

The Diamonds got off to the perfect start when they scored the opening goal after only five minutes.

Jamie Bain made ground on the right and crossed into the City box.

McCormack slipped as he was trying to clear the ball away with Taylor Morgan on hand to blast the ball last Graeme Smith.

City didn’t let their heads go down and they were level seven minutes later.

Willie Dyer delivered a perfect free-kick into the home penalty area for Andy Jackson who did well to lose his marker before glancing a great header past Neil Parry in the Airdrie goal.

However, the hosts restored their advantage in the 25th minute.

Nicky Cadden beat Paul McLean and crossed into the City box.

Smith appeared to have the ball covered only to see McCormack head it out of his hands with the ball falling perfectly for Morgan who could hardly believe his good fortune as he slotted it into the empty net.

City were then dealt a really bad blow when Ross Perry was stretchered off after catching his studs in the artificial surface.

Gary Fusco came on to replacer him.

The visitors tried to get back into the game after the break and they were a shade unlucky not to equalise in the 67th minute when a Jackson header was well saved by Parry.

However,the hosts wrapped up the tie twenty minutes from the final whistle when City lost possession midway in their half to Morgan who played in Bryan Prunty who slotted the ball past Smith.