Brechin fightback falls just short against Stranraer

Ryan Donnelly heads in his second goal of the afternoon.
Ryan Donnelly heads in his second goal of the afternoon.

Stranraer 4

Brechin City 3

Brechin City were knocked out of another cup competition after a second-half fightback against Stranraer fell agonisingly short.

Brechin found themselves a goal down in the 10th minute, when Ryan Borris slotted home a right-footed effort.

Grant Gallagher could have doubled Stranraer’s lead two minutes later, but his effort was wide of the target.

However, in the 24th minute, Scott Robertson made no mistake with his right-footed shot as he handed the home side a two-goal lead.

Stranraer had another couple of half chances, with their players unable to keep their efforts on target.

With just over half an hour played, Stranraer added a third goal from the spot after Johnny Brown was deemed to have unfairly challenged Martin Grehan in the 18-yard box.

Christopher Aitken took the resulting penalty kick, and fired it home to further compound Brechin’s misfortunes.

City had a few glimpses of in the latter stages of the first half, but Craig Molloy and Derek Carcary were unable to find the target.

Half-time: Stranraer 3, Brechin City 0.

City manager, Ray McKinnon, made two changes at half time – with Stuart Anderson and Allan Walker making way for Bobby Barr and Ryan Donnelly respectively.

Despite the positive personnel changes, City went further behind in the 48th minute when former City striker David McKenna, who left the club at the end of last season, netted the home side’s fourth – and final – goal of the match.

McKinnon’s changes did pay dividends in the 55th minute, when Donnelly, who only joined the club this season, slotted home a Carcary pass.

Carcary almost turned from provider to finisher three minutes later, but Stranraer ‘keeper, David Mitchell, parried away his effort.

Andy Jackson had a chance to further reduce City’s deficit in the 68th minute, but his headed effort was wide of the mark.

It was Donnelly who added City’s second, heading home a Bobby Barr cross in the 83rd minute.

Two minutes later, Barr nabbed a goal himself as Brechin threatened to put the tie to extra time.

Carcary almost scored in the dying minutes of his match, but his effort was wide of the mark.