Brechin glued to relegation spot

editorial image

Brechin City remain anchored at the foot of Ladbrokes League One after a 2-1 home defeat from Stenhousemuir who move up to third position.

City have hardly had a rub of the green since the season began and their run of bad luck continued against the Warriors.

A goal down after 28 minutes, they fought back after the break and deservedly equalised with half an hour remaining.

However, a further goal from the visitors with 10 minutes left sealed their fate and their misery was compounded in the dying seconds when they had full-back Dyer ordered off for a second bookable offence.

Player-boss Darren Dods made a couple of changes from the team that lost at Cowdenbeath the previous week with Fusco and Tiffoney coming in for McCormack and Smith.

City started well with loan signing Layne firing past in the opening minutes but the Warriors grabbed the lead just before the half-hour with a well worked goal.

City central defender Perry lost possession to Scotland just in the City half and the ex St Johnstone striker played the ball quickly to McMenamin who in turn released COOK wide on the left and he pushed forward into the City box before blasting a left-foot drive past Graeme Smith in the City goal.

City had claims for a penalty denied by referee Charleston three minutes later when Tiffoney was sent sprawling in the box after a challenge from ex Forfar defender Malcolm, but the whistler incredibly booked Tiffoney for diving and awarded Stenny a free-kick.

City put pressure on the visitors’ goal immediately from the re-start and Bates was unlucky to see his header from a Dyer corner strike the post before being cleared.

City kept up the pressure on the Warriors defence and got their reward in the 71st minute when they notched the equaliser. LAYNE collected the ball at the left of the visitors’ penalty-box and did well to shield it from a couple of defenders before swivelling and unleashing a wonderful right-foot drive into the top corner of the net.

Both sides pushed forward in an effort to grab the decisive second goal. Unfortunately that goal came for the visitors with just ten minutes left when a Scotland free-kick rebounded off City’s defensive wall into the path of McMENAMIN who slotted past Smith with City’s misery compounded in the dying seconds when full-back Dyer was sent from the field for a second bookable offence.

City manager Darren Dods said: “I feel sorry for the players after the effort they put in. We need to stick together and keep going. The performance was much improved from the previous one, but the breaks aren’t going for us at the moment.

“But, if we can keep up the standard we showed in the second-half the breaks will come and we just have to continue to work hard and show the same spirit and determination we displayed today.”