Brechin miss out

Equaliser: Andy Jackson celebrates with his team mates after scoring the equalising goal.'Picture by Derek Watt
Equaliser: Andy Jackson celebrates with his team mates after scoring the equalising goal.'Picture by Derek Watt

Brechin City left Ochilview unable to comprehend how they failed to secure at least a point when they took on Stenhousemuir for the second time.

City, who lost four nil to Stenhousemuir in the Communities League Cup a fortnight ago, failed to convert a dominant second half performance into points.

The first half was a somewhat quiet affair, with John Gemmell’s 21st minute headed goal the only real talking point.

Gemmell, who opened the scoring for Stenhousemuir when the sides met in the cup, leapt to meet Sean Dickson’s cross and had no trouble finding the net.

City were almost able to equalise minutes later, but Jonathan Stewart couldn’t find the net with his 25 yard strike.

The second half belonged to City as the players began to show the type of football they are more than capable of producing.

Stenhousemuir struggled to contain them in the opening 20 minutes of the second half - and Andy Jackson capitalised on that when he fired home a Garry Brady pass in the 58th minute. Jackson blasted in Brady’s cross with his left foot to notch City’s equaliser - and his third goal for the club.

But City were made to rue their missed chances as Stenhousemuir edged in front in the 71st minute. David McKenna twice hit the post but it was Gemmell, again, who produced the goods for Stenhousemuir.

A free kick from 25 yards out proved costly for City as Gemmell thundered the ball into the back of the net to secure his, and Stenhousemuir’s, second of the match.

It was Gemmell and another free kick in the dying minutes of the match that added insult to injury for City.

Gemmell fired home from further out than his earlier effort, sealing his hat-trick and all three points for the Warriors.

Manager Jim Weir said: “I’m disappointed we lost the game, but I have got to give my players credit for the way they came out and played in the second half. Stenhousemuir had two quality free kicks.

“We have been to Ochilview twice now and lost, but on Saturday we deserved more.

“We showed the type of football we want to play, particularly in the second half. I did think that the referee didn’t deal with the match properly. Paul McLean picked up a knock that should have been a foul. There was a lot of persistent fouling that went unnoticed.”