Brechin’s U15s notch up high scoring results

Brechin City Under-15s ... 9

Broughty Ferry ................ 2

Brechin City Youth’s Under-15s returned to winning form in this league tie on Sunday, October 27, in Brechin.

On a heavy pitch, Brechin took the game to Broughty right from the start.

From the kick off, Doan sent a searching ball through to Irvine, who drove down the left flank and cut the ball across the face of the goal.

Walker was waiting at the back post to calmly slot the ball into the net with only 19 seconds gone on the clock.

The game was all Brechin’s at this stage – driving attack after attack at the Broughty defence.

Their second goal came after only eight minutes, Doan again sending a searching ball to Irvine, who chased it down and drove it under the advancing ‘keeper.

The home side kept up the pressure and were rewarded with three more goals before half time – all falling to Conor Doan.

The first came from a long range shot – Duncan gained the ball in midfield and found Doan who fired high into the net from 20 yards.

Doan’s second came after 32 minutes – a free kick from 25 yards in front of goal – again driven high into the net.

Doan’s hat-trick – and Brechin’s fifth goal of the match – came from the penalty spot.

Half-time: Brechin, 5; Broughty, 0.

Brechin started the second half as they did the first, driving into the attack.

A a long throw-in from Church-Forbes found Doan, whose first-time volley shaded narrowly past the left hand post.

Further pressure came from Walker, Irvine, and Reece Campbell, who were all driving at the Broughty defence.

Irvine and Walker had been playing havoc with the Broughty defence all day and continued to do so.

Irvine’s second (and Brechin’s sixth) came in eight minutes from a ball flighted in from the left by Doan, which was met by Irvine at the far post.

Three minutes later, Brechin extended their lead yet again when Walker flighted in a corner which was met by Booth.

His shot was parried by the ‘keeper, but only reached as far as Doan, who drilled the ball through the mass of players and across the line.

In 24 minutes, Booth himself made the score sheet – Walker again fighting through the defence and flighting a ball to Booth, who drove the ball high into the net from 20 yards.

Broughty had still not had a valid effort on goal but did so a few minutes later.

The Brechin defence was caught out whilst tracking back and gave away a penalty, which was deftly taken to get Broughty on the score sheet.

A couple of minutes later, Walker’s tenacity up front was rewarded with his second goal of the match.

A long shot – again from Doan – was parried by the ‘keeper, and Walker duly chased it down and drove the ball home.

Broughty scored a late consolation as a result of the Brechin defence not properly clearing their lines – a well taken drive from 20 yards beating Sim in goal.

A spokesman for the club commented: “The full team played well on the day, all working hard and contributing to the victory.”

Brechin City Under-15s team were as follows:- Sim, Somerville, Allison, Souter, Ryan Campbell, Peters, Doan, Duncan, Szyjut, Irvine, Walker, Church Forbes, Reece Campbell, Booth, Barreiro and Fleck.