Brechin Under-14s lost to strong Broughty side

Brechin Under-14s 1

Broughty Under-14s 6

Following promotion after last season’s efforts, Brechin played the opening fixture of the season against a strong Broughty outfit.

Brechin started the match with the strong belief they could match their opponents and did so for the opening 20 minute period, defending resolutely and battling hard in midfield.

Broughty took the lead after some hesitation in the home defence allowed the striker a look on goal and he took the chance to put Brechin one down. Broughty then put the Brechin team under a sustained period of pressure during which they made it two after a delightful flick sent the striker through on goal and again there was no mistake with the finish.

The Brechin lads battled valiantly and refused to be overrun, reaching the turn without loss of further goals thanks to brave defending and good goalkeeping. Brechin almost snatched a goal back when a fine strike from James Williamson was deflected just over the bar.

Half -time: Brechin 0, Broughty 2.

The second half started much as the first finished with Broughty on the front foot and Brechin working their socks off to stay in contention. Again Brechin were holding their own and began to get forward themselves more often but the strong Broughty defence rarely looked troubled.

Broughty were making plenty of chances and Brechin keeper Tyler Webley repeatedly denied them with a string of fantastic saves. A rare lapse of concentration by Webley then allowed the Broughty striker a tap into the empty net for the goal which essentially killed the game off.

Webley was not daunted by the mistake and continued to make save after save, some of which were straight out of the top drawer.

Broughty did add to their lead with a further two goals before Brechin enjoyed their best attacking period of the game, with a sizzling strike from Jack Robertson from wide smacking the outside of the post and another effort from Kieran Longmuir drifting just wide.

With a few minuted remaining Brechin broke forward and Robertson was foiled by the Broughty keeper. The ball broke to Calum McKelvie who stroked the ball in from around 20 yards to give Brechin a deserved goal.

This proved to jolt Broughty who scored another almost on the stroke of full time.

This game was an early warning to the Brechin lads of how tough the season ahead is going to be.

Despite the scoreline the entire team played well and the heads never went down. The new look back four were kept busy all day however played very well together, with full backs Gareth Hynd and Connor Scott standouts.

Man of the match : Tyler Webley.