Brechin Vics blow their chances

Pictured is Martin Strachan
Pictured is Martin Strachan

Glenrothes 3

Brechin Vics 1

Brechin Vics travelled to Fife where they took on Premier League opponents Glenrothes in the East of Scotland cup competition.

Vics first real opportunity came in six minutes when Whitworth headed over a Henderson corner.

Glenrothes had a great chance on 10 minutes but ‘keeper Robbie stood up and pushed the striker wide.

They were having more possession and had a shot from 20 yards go wide of the target.

Vics took the lead on 23 minutes when a long clearance from Robbie found Strachan who slipped the ball past the advancing ‘keeper and into the empty net.

They almost increased their lead five minutes later when good wing play and cross from C. Eaton was met by Strachan but he headed over the crossbar from six yards.

Strachan had to be replaced on the half hour mark with a head injury, Stephen was his replacement.

Robbie produced a magnificent diving save to turn the ball round the post from a shot from 25 yards.

Half-time: Glenrothes 0, Brechin Vics 1.

Glenrothes were first to attack in the second half and again Robbie saved after a goalmouth scramble.

He produced another save two minutes later saving as the striker progressed in on goal.

Henderson tried his luck on 57 minutes but his free kick was just wide of the target.

Glenrothes drew level in controversial circumstances. Henderson tried to pass the ball wide when in the midfield but it struck the referee and landed in the path of a Glenrothes player who threaded the ball through to the striker who raced in on goal and lobbed the helpless Robbie.

Glenrothes had their tails up at this point and added a further two goals in the 68th and 72nd minutes.

The first was a shot from 20 yards and the second a shot from 10 yards giving Robbie no chance.

Vics settled for the last 10 minutes and although played some neat football but failed to create any clear cut chances.

Team: Robbie, Gourlay, C. Eaton, Cairney, Whitworth, Ross, Steel, Henderson, Dunn, Buggins, Strachan. Subs:- S. Eaton, Barclay, S. Renilson, Harrison.

A spokesman for the club commented: “Vics showed that progress is being made having matched and led their opponent from a higher league right up until the last half hour. A fortunate Glenrothes goal aided by a deflection off the referee gave them the impetus to go on and win the game.

“The management although delighted with the first half felt that a great chance for a cup win against higher league opponents was missed.”

Brechin Vics are back in league action on Saturday (September 21) when they travel to meet Newburgh. Kick off is at 2.30 p.m.