Changes ahead for Brechin City

Charlie King and Gary Fusco celebrate after the veteran striker opened the scoring for Brechin.

Charlie King and Gary Fusco celebrate after the veteran striker opened the scoring for Brechin.

0
Have your say

BRECHIN City ended the season on a disappointing note, going down at Dumbarton by four goals to two - and that wasn’t the last of the bad news as it was later announced that fans favourite Charlie King had left the club.

It was announced on Monday (May 6) that King, the longest serving player at the club, had been released after Saturday’s defeat.

Craig Molloy is congratulated by Derek Carcary after pulling a goal back for Brechin.

Craig Molloy is congratulated by Derek Carcary after pulling a goal back for Brechin.

King, who has been at the club since 2001, scored Brechin’s first goal of the day on Saturday in the 53rd minute.

He said: “Just after the game on Saturday I spoke to the manager and was told there won’t be an offer for me to stay next season, so now I need to try and find something else.

“I’m gutted – it’s hard to come to terms with. After the game on Saturday I got off the bus and had to say some goodbyes which was really hard. I was in floods of tears and don’t mind admitting it. It was good to get home to the wife and kids and get back to some sort of normality on Sunday night.”

King also spoke of his gratitude for the fans reaction to the news, he said: “I wanted to thank the supporters for the past 11 years. They’ve always made me and my family feel welcome.

“It was great reading the comments on Facebook and I’ve had a lot of phonecalls and messages which has been really really nice.

“I’ve obviously done something right and I’ve enjoyed my time at the club. I’ve always tried to help out as much as I can and the fans seem to have taken to me quite well.

“At the end of the day I have to move on. To be honest the club has not been the same as it once was for the past couple of years – I just hope that they can get that back.”

Looking to the future now, King said: “I’ve spoken to a couple of clubs but it’s a hard one. I don’t want to jump right in but there is a bit of pressure to give answers.

“There’s a part of me that wants to hold back in case the decision could be changed but I’m going to have to make a decision.”

Meanwhile, Saturday’s result means that the reds end the current campaign in third bottom spot, having been edged out of seventh spot in the table by near-neighbours Forfar Athletic, who got the win they required to remain clear of the relegation play-off spot.

Brechin came close to an early lead when Charlie King’s corner found the head of Craig Molloy but he failed to direct his header.

James Lister and Rory McKenzie both went close before the break but were denied by keeper Arnaud Gastal as the hosts held firm.

But City did take the lead eight minutes after the restart, King with a stunning volley inside the area from David McKenna’s cross.

However, Dargo struck an equaliser six minutes later when he collected Anthony Wallace’s pass before firing into the corner.

And they were ahead soon after when Dargo headed home David Gray’s cross before sealing his hat-trick with another header 18 minutes from time.

Craig Molloy pulled a goal back two minutes from time before Glen Thomson added a fourth for the Sons deep into stoppage time.

Dumbarton - Gastal, Finnie (McNiff), Kennedy, Lyden, Nugent, Gray, Nicoll, Wallace, McKell (Thomson), Dargo and Mptata (Walker).

Brechin City - Scott, Webster (McClune), Buist, Moyes, Hodge, McKenzie, Fusco, Molloy, McKenna (Crawford), Lister and King (Carcary).

Manager Jim Weir now has plans to axe more of his first-team squad as he looks to build a team capable of promotion next season.

Those who will stay include goalkeeper Craig Nelson, defender Paul McLean, midfielders Gary Fusco, David McKenna and Craig Molloy. Ewan Moyes, Gerry McLaughlan and Garry Brady have also been offered new one year deals.

Weir said: “It’s about building for next year now.

“We could have been two goals up at the interval but as I’ve said many times before, when we lose one goal we look as if we could lose another two or three and that’s what happened again today which typifies our season.

“Five or six players have accepted new deals to remain at the club next year and I’ll be speaking to the other players later on today to let them know thier fate but there’s no doubt that major surgery is required here next year if we’re to mount a serious challenge.”

He added: “It’s been a difficult year and we’ve not done well at all.

“I had to make changes and I’m looking to bring in better players and to get a more balanced team.

“Nothing is imminent. There won’t be a frenzy in the next couple of weeks like there was last year.

“I’ll bide my time to make sure I get the right players.”