City 14s maintain their winning performance against ACSC


Brechin City Under-14s 4

Brechin City Under-14s travelled to Arbroath for another “local derby” on Sunday, March 3, coming away with all three points in what was a closely fought contest.

Brechin’s line-up was weakened by absence with only two of the back four available, resulting in a change around in midfield/defensive roles.

Within a minute of the start, Brechin were clear through only to be adjudged offside.

ACSC took back the initiative and mounted a series of attacks down the left on the Brechin goal, resulting in two corners in quick succession. Brechin defenders E. Somerville and C. Doan were having to work hard to keep ACSC at bay.

Brechin gradually worked their way back into the game and mounted attacks with a long range shot from Doan ending up just wide of the post.

On 18 minutes Doan fired another long range shot which was well held by the ACSC ‘keeper.

B. Irvine continued to probe the opposition defence but by half time the game was still even.

Half-time: ACSC 0, Brechin City 0.

The restart saw a re-invigorated Brechin team take the game to Arbroath forcing a corner straight from the kick off.

Further concerted pressure finally paid off within two minutes with Irvine finally capitalising by lobbing the ball into the net over the oncoming keeper.

Brechin, now with their heads up, pressed on and were rewarded, five minutes later, with a free kick twenty yards out, in front of goal.

Doan blasted the ball high into the net through the defensive wall and past the ‘keeper, to put them two nil up.

Seconds after the restart Brechin were again clear through on goal – a searching through ball from C. Booth reaching Irvine, who again was beaten by the off-side trap.

Brechin continued to pressurise and missed an opportunity to increase their lead following a foul outside the box – another long range free kick from Doan just skimming the bar.

Again ACSC fought back and, following a long probing run beating the defence, reduced the deficit with a well taken goal.

Straight from the restart Brechin pressed forward again, the ball falling to Booth who placed a fine shot across the face of the goal which was converted by R. Campbell.

They continued to press forward and some fine teamwork saw the forwards working together, Campbell firing a shot which was parried by the ‘keeper, the rebound being pounced upon by Booth who hit the base of the post.

Finally, with a minute to go Z. Walker controlled the ball in midfield and sent a fine pass through to Irvine who easily beat the ‘keeper.

The Under-14s next match is a home tie against Montrose on Sunday, March 10. The match kicks-off at 12.30 p.m.

A spokesperson for the side said: “This will be a tough game against one of the top teams in the league – please come along a support the boys to try and maintain our winning performance.”