City edged out by slick Cowden side

Action shot.
Action shot.

cowdenbeath 3,

brechin city 1

BRECHIN City’s first away fixture of the new league campaign ended in a three-one defeat at the hands of Cowdenbeath on Saturday.

The Fifers had grabbed an early lead with a fine goal from Mark Ramsay in the 13th minute but City battled their way back into the match and equalised through Garry Brady in the 37th minute.

City should actually have gone in at the break a goal up after a David McKenna shot came back off the post just three minutes before the interval and they were looking as if they might go on and grab the lead in the early stages of the second half but two further Cowden goals from Marc McKenzie and substitute Jordan Morton put paid to City’s chances and the Fifers ran out deserved winners.

City boss Jim Weir kept faith with the side that had started against Stenhousemuir the previous week.

The only change was on the bench, where youth team striker Michael Potter replaced Jim Lister who had undergone an operation earlier in the week.

The hosts started strongly and put the City defence under immediate pressure with Ramsay, and Lewis Coult coming close in the opening stages.

City had a half-chance in the 11th minute when Paul McLean collected a pass from Craig Molloy and moved into the penalty-area but his shot hit the side netting.

The hosts responded immediately and grabbed the opener with a good goal from Ramsay.

The ball was played out wide on the left to Scott Linton who delivered a great cross into the box for Ramsay, who got between his markers to steer the ball into the net.

The striker unfortunately, picked up an injury in the process and was immediately replaced by former City midfielder Craig Winter.

The hosts kept up the pressure on the City rear-guard and they came close again in the 19th minute when another dangerous cross from the left, this time by Kenny Adamson was won by Lewis Coult whose header went inches over the bar.

A few minutes later, Adamson tried a long-range effort which Craig Nelson tipped over the cross-bar.

The Fifers’ fast, attacking play was causing problems, but City battled on in an effort to get back into the game and they got their reward in the 37th minute when Garry Brady scored his first competitive goal for the club.

Molloy won the ball in the penalty-box and passed back to Brady, whose superb right-foot drive soared into the top corner of the net.

This goal gave City confidence and they were desperately unlucky not to grab the lead a couple of minutes before half-time when Graham Weir crossed into the box for McKenna who fired his shot off the post.

Cowden had the first goal-scoring opportunity of the second-half when Winter headed a Colin Cameron free-kick just over the bar in the 52nd minute but City hit straight back and Gerry McGlauchlan powered a header from a Neil Janczyk corner go just past.

City were getting into their stride when they were rocked by a further Cowden goal in the 67th minute.

The ball was played wide to Marc McKenzie who moved quickly into the box and then curled a low drive into the bottom corner of the net.

Cowden now had the bit between their teeth and they wrapped up the points eleven minutes from time when substitute Jordan Morton picked up a pass 30 yards from goal and then unleashed a glorious left-foot drive which gave Nelson no chance.

Cowdenbeath: Bejaoui, Brett, Armstrong, Mbu (Morton), Adamson, McKenzie, Robertson, Cameron, Linton (Makel), Coult and Ramsay (Winter).

Brechin City - Nelson, McLean, McLauchlan, Buist, Dunlop, Brady, Molloy, Janczyk, McKenna, Weir (King) and McManus (Carcary).

Referee – John Beaton; crowd – 308.