City end campaign with an easy win

Johnny Brown and David McKenna celebrate the second goal with their team mates.'Picture by Derek Watt, Brechin
Johnny Brown and David McKenna celebrate the second goal with their team mates.'Picture by Derek Watt, Brechin

East Fife 0

Brechin City 3.

Brechin City finished their Second Division campaign on a high note after a comfortable 3-0 win over East Fife at Bayview Stadium, writes John Hoey.

The result sets up City nicely for tonight’s (Wednesday’s) eagerly anticipated First Division Play-Off Semi-Final, first leg against Alloa Athletic at Glebe Park, while the Fifers will have to play Berwick Rangers in the Second Division Play-Off Semi-Final first leg.

City manager Ray McKinnon took the opportunity to rest Johnny Brown, Graham Hay, Ewan Moyes, Gary Fusco, Alan Trouten, Derek Carcary and Andy Jackson ahead of tonight’s game, but even without those key players, City were still far too good for the Fifers.

The opening 45 minutes was pretty mundane with goal opportunities for both sides few and far between, although City were unlucky not to take the lead after 13 minutes when Alex Pursehouse picked up the ball just within the opposition half and pushed forward before firing in a superb drive which Fifers ‘keeper Calum Ansell tipped over the bar.

City upped the pace after the break, particularly in the last 20 minutes when they scored their goals.

The opener came in the 70th minute when a great City move ended with the ball being played out wide on the right to skipper for the day, Garry Brady, and when his cross came into the box, David McKenna was first to react to volley a superb right-foot drive beyond the reach of Ansell in the East Fife goal.

City replaced Beau Longridge with Johnny Brown eight minutes later and the defender was only on the field for a couple of minutes before he doubled his team’s lead.

Ex-City striker Paul McManus headed the ball under pressure into the path of Brown who blasted an unstoppable shot beyond Ansell into the roof of the net.

City weren’t finished by any means and goal number three came just five minutes later.

Ryan Stewart flicked the ball on to Brown wide on the left and the defender cut inside Fifers’ full-back Scott Durie before unleashing a tremendous right-foot drive into the far corner of the net, giving ‘keeper Ansell no chance.